Trying to make a list of my TOP 10 CYBILS AWARDS NOMINATED BOARD BOOKS/PICTURE BOOKS made me feel relieved I am not a Round 2 Judge! Unlike judges in this category I had not read all the titles, so take my list with a grain of salt. I DO love all of these books and I have reviewed most of them. I tried to create a list that reflects the diverse titles nominated.
10. All Are Welcome By Alexandra Penfold
9. The Book Tree By Paul Czajak; illustrated by Rashin Kheiriyeh
8. Islandborn By Junot Díaz
7. Julián Is a Mermaid By Jessica Love
6. C is for Consent By Eleanor Morrison
5. If You’re Going to a March By Martha Freeman, illustrated by Violet Kim
4. You Can Be By Elise Gravel
3. Drawn Together By Minh Lê
2. Prince & Knight By Daniel Haack
1. Families By Jesse Unaapik Mike and Kerry McCluskey; Illustrated by Lenny Lishchenko
Families is #1 by me. It’s published by Inhabit Media, an Inuit-owned small press that brings amazing #ownvoices children’s literature into the world. I love that the book celebrates diverse family formations and represents indigenous peoples in a non-romanticized contemporary setting that organically incorporates cultural specificity while dealing with universal issues.